finally. the lamp makeover is finally complete.
i bought this lamp last august fully expecting to make it over immediately. well, folks, life sometimes doesn't work like that. i know you understand.
but i am so glad i waited. during our trip down to houston last fall, my amazing mother-in-law gave me a couple of gorgeous embroidered pieces. both of them were stitched by her mother and aunt. i am honored to have this part of our family history.
one of these pieces was a pillowcase. the size was a bit awkward for a pillow though. but if turned vertically, it was almost exactly the height of this tall shade. i had my inspiration!
here is how i gave a dated, but very cool, thrift store lamp a makeover with a simple slipcover (and a little spray paint).
repurposed bed sheet
basic sewing supplies
for the slipcover:
first i took a seam ripper to the pillow case and carefully separated the front and back panels. i measured the height of my shade and trimmed the embroidered panel to fit. then i added width with a coordinating bed sheet to provide a snug fit around the shade. right sides together, i sewed these two panels to make one large tube. turning it right side out, i then shimmied it down the shade.
this slipcover uses the original hems of the pillowcase and bedsheet at the bottom. the top edge was left raw (no hem), but i did hot glue a length of ribbon along the top to finish it off.
and for the base:
we simply took leftover spray paint (from who knows what project) and gave the wood and brass base a modern feel. don't forget to tape! overspray will give any makeover a sloppy look. we taped and bagged the cord and also taped the socket base. three coats of antique white spray paint later and . . . voila!
the beauty of this project is that i was able to preserve the original heirloom embroidery, but also showcase it so we can enjoy it daily. that really is a win-win.
and oh my, look at that glow. these lovely flowers will for sure distract me from my reading.
linking up to: